Fat Santa month is a big occasion in our household. We generally start plans in October - ok let's be honest, April. The decorations come out December 1st and that in itself is a two week process.
It's a funny time Christmas in Australia. As its a holiday that wasn't actually designed for our seasons. The spirit of Christmas, being spending time with friends and family that's easy to do, summer is the perfect time to picnic and BBQ with the ones you love. But the cooking and the shopping under Christmas street lights - not so good. When it's a clear sunny day last thing you want to be doing is traipsing around the shops.
So this year we have devised a plan so that we don't spend summer inside a shopping centre and be sure that we can give gifts that are quality and fun for us - we are making our own!
First up - soy wax candles.
- 1kg soy wax
- 2 tsp Lavendar Essential oil
- 10 + candle wicks
- 10 + jars and cups of various sizes
- heavy bottomed saucepan
- Pyrex jug
- Glue gun or blue tack
- Sugar thermometer
- large ice lolly sticks
- clean and thoroughly dry your jars and cups
- with glue gun or
blue tack, secure wick to bottom of jar/ cup
- Place stick on top of jar/ cup, with the wick sitting in the wedge, this will keep the wick straight.
- Once fully melted and at 50-70C thoroughly stir in the essence.
- Be sure not to over heat the wax or for longer than 20 minutes or it wil discolour.
- Remove from heat, let cool for 5-10 minutes
- Pour wax into jars/ cups
We used a variety of favourite recycled jars as well as some pretty cups bought at a local Asian grocer Thai Kee IGA
- All supplies like the wax, essential oil and wicks were bought from Aussie Soap Supplies who were very fast and reliable.
Picks of final candles to come soon
So, do you love or loath Christmas shopping?